I'm working with Linux since 1996. It started as a toy and now I'm using it as my primary OS. I've allways used Debian as my linux distro (in fact I never tried an other :-). Since 1999 I'm working as a UNIX System Engineer for a Belgium company.
I can use a lot of my Linux experience on my work. But I want to convince my boss to support and sell Linux. So I'm looking for nice features of Linux that I can use to argue with him. Managing the available bandwidth on the network with Linux is one of the many I allready have.
When I tried to find more information about it, it was very hard to find. So I started this website to share all the stuff I found. After 2 months allready more than 300 persons (+1800 on 31/08/01) visted the website and I hope that these people found some extra information. Everything you find on the website may be used, but plz let me know if you can do something usefull with it.
Send me your comments and questions. I will try to give an answer on them. I'm also looking for some help to build this site and for new test results. Especially working examples are usefull and the TODO's has to disappear.
Document last changed on 20/11/01 at 22:57:07
I registered my own domain: docum.org.
I have a new place for the site : http://users.pandora.be/stef.coene/qos/. (Old news : For now, this domain points to http://users.belgacom.net/staf/, but plz use www.docum.org in your bookmarks.)
- Changing monitor.pl so it uses the builtin estimate counters of tc to calculate the bandwidth
- What with unclassified traffic ?
- ingress testing
- update example with tests to prove it's working within CBQ accuracy limits
- prio-qdisc : what means priomap and what are the options ?
- HTB testing
- SFQ testing
- WRR : testing + including documentation
- CBQ: avpkt : testing (smaller for smaller rates)
- CBQ: more then 100 classes and bandwidth greater than 20Mbit gives also a problem with accuracy
- Discuss some commercial solutions (www.allot.com)
- 15/11/2001: Sorry guys, no time to update the site. But I have a new location for the website and I repointed docum.org to http://users.pandora.be/stef.coene/qos/
- 15/09/2001: Aha, finally I can upload a new site.
- 07/09/2001: Ftp-server is still down.
- 01/09/2001: Damn, ftp-server of my ISP is down.
- 22/08/2001: I finished the tbf and the interactive tests.
- 11/08/2001: I redid some tests with kernel 2.4.7 and iproute_010803. The results were the same.
- 10/08/2001: Back in Belgium, so new updates soon. I registered docum.org and you will allways find this website on www.docum.org.
- 17/07/2001: Sorry, no time to update this site. Next update will be around half august. Sorry :-(
- 13/07/2001: I have allmost no time to update the site, but allmost all the tests are redone with the new tc binary and the results look much better for CBQ.
The next 5 weeks will be very difficult to update the site. You know: beach, sun, sea, girls, ... (from 22/7 - 3/8). After that, I have to finish a project.
- 27/06/2001: I'm still working on the site, but I'm not updating this changelog as often anymore ;-)
redoing tests with precompiled debian binary
- 17/06/2001: I'm testing tbf with 10 parallel streams (I'm using iperf for this).
- 14/06/2001 After 7 days of running a script, I finaly tested TBF for each possible rate. See TBF-tests for the results, but they look good. I'm still doing the same test with a bounded CBQ.
I defined the example, but still didn't had the time to do some tests. But I don't trust CBQ, so I don't expect good results.
- 11/06/2001 : added show.pl : graphical representation of QOS settings.
- 08/06/2001 : I'm making a script to view the QOS settings on a host. Looks great and will be released soon (supported : CBQ, TBF, SFQ and fw-filter)
- 06/06/2001 : I made some script to tests the bounded paramter and the results are really bad (See bounded accuracy on test-page). The test is still running so the results are not complete.
I'm also testing tbf and these results looks good.
- 04/06/2001 : I tried to emulate a real environment, but I have a problem with CBQ. It's just not accurate enough when you want to bound a class. As results, I'm not able to shape the full link-bandwidth. See Tests, CBQ, Basic setup.
- 02/06/2001 : Using CSS for layout and the scripts are now included in web-pages together with a link (hacked gtml for that). I can only test with Netscape 4.76 on Linux.
I'm not using kernel 2.2.x anymore. So all tests are now done with kernel 2.4.x(5).
CBQ : isolated = not working
- 31/05/2001 : Updating tests
- 22/05/2001 : New monitor.pl version : kernel 2.4.x support
Starting to redo all the tests with kernel 2.4.x
- 18/05/2001 : updating docs
- 14/05/2001 : new flow charts thx to dia
- 10/05/2001 : new CBQ tests
- 02/05/2001 : added documentation (from kernel and source) and graph for the tests
- 30/04/2001 : Changed to gtml to maintain the website
- 20/04/2001 re-arranged the website
monitor.pl (version 0.2) : generating logfiles as input voor xplot to plot the results
- 19/04/2001 : uploaded website and first numbered release of monitor.pl (0.1)